The movement originated in Britain in November 1929 as a scheme to encourage young people to ride, whilst providing the opportunity for these young people to benefit from instruction at a higher standard than many could obtain individually. The first overseas branch was formed in Gibraltar in January 1930.
The Pony Club Association of Victoria (PCAV) was formed at a meeting held at the Royal Melbourne Showgrounds on 13 January 1954, with seven affiliated clubs - Berwick, Eltham, Footscray, Mountain District, Shepparton, Vermont and Western District. While Vermont and Footscray have since disbanded, they continue on in their areas as Nunawading and Truganina Braybook Pony Clubs.
View our Family Tree here
PCAV is affiliated with the British Horse Society, Pony Club Australia and Equestrian Australia (Victorian Branch)
The affairs of PCAV were administered from it's State Headquarters at 12 Warleigh Grove Brighton North until December 2008 when the office was moved to 73-75 Mackie Road in Mulgrave. The Association Clubs purchased this property in May 1974 through a co-operative venture. This was the brainchild of the late Mr Norm Wilkin, Hon Treasurer for PCAV from 1970 to 1991. At the time of purchase this was the first centre in Australia wholly owned by a State Pony Club Association.
Rapid increase in membership in the 1960s necessitated the formation of Zones (areas) to facilitate administration and organisation. Ultimately 10 Zones were formed - each more or less geographical in concept, with a membership ranging from 10 to 16 Clubs each.
The Association is directed by the individual Pony Clubs - from the Clubs to the Zones to the Association Council. Refer to the diagram here
The PCAV State Office was named 'Irving House' in March 1976. It was named as a tribute to Miss Kay Irving, MBE, for her commitment and dedication to Pony Clubbers during her time as Chief Instructor 1958 - 1983. The name has continued with the property in Mulgrave also being named 'Irving House'
More about Miss Kay from the menu link below
In 2006-7 a History Competition was run to get as many stories and pictures from our members and clubs as we could. The winners of this competition can be found here